NIDUS the Design Shop
Having its own design outlet was a long cherished dream of all those associated with NID, though, it took some time for this dream to come true. Inaugurated on January 26, 2005, this design outlet named “nidus” is a celebration of good design on the one hand and an attempt to make well designed products available to people on the other. The collection ranges from ceramic to lifestyle and accessory (jewellery and leather accessories, hand bags made of natural fibers), textile and apparel (including stoles, T-shirts, home furnishing etc.) products made of stainless steel, design publications etc All the products showcased and retailed through this outlet are designed by NID alumni, students and faculty members. Shimul Mehta Vyas, Project Head, Nidus, along with other faculty colleagues, Jitendra Arora, Nilima Hasija and Rupesh Vyas spent days and nights for months together to make “nidus” a swanky outlet of the objects of desire. According to Shimul Mehta, “We would be trying to move the shelves once every fortnight as we have enough viable design ideas generated in the classroom. Nidus in the last six months has become a 'must visit' destination for the design connoisseurs from all over the country. This bright spot situated near the main entrance of NID campus is attracting large number of buyers and design lovers who want to check out the latest design offerings from the fountainhead of creativity. Through nidus, NID is making design accessories and other products accessible to as many consumers as possible at a price which is not too hard to the pocket. It's being run by NID Employees Credit and Consumer Co-operative Society.
The objectives of the NIDUS as envisioned by the group include:
- Connecting NID's good designs to the outside world thereby establishing a direct interface with the people.
- Providing a testing ground for validating the design ideas developed by NID students/faculty/technical staff through direct consumer feedback.
- Encouraging more people to visit the Institute's public interface areas like Design Gallery, Design Shop, etc., thereby getting directly or indirectly exposed to Design.
- Promoting further the “NID Brand”, as also the work of students, faculty and alumni.
- Establishing franchise of the outlet across the country, in future.
- Providing an interface for budding design entrepreneurs of NDBI to test concepts.